Table of Contents
Since small law firms typically have less resources than larger firms, small law firm marketing must be uniquely different. Although small law firms might be passionate about excellence and client service, they need some surefire ways to keep building a sustainable, growing business. Even without a heavy budget, small law firms can use the following simple and affordable steps to effectively gather consistent leads and more clients.
Keep a Laser Focus
Law firms that are successful in their advertising stay zeroed in on their niche and locality. Since no company can be an expert in everything, a focused mindset makes sense to any prospective client, and brings relief to any small law firm. Also, Google notices any efforts a business makes to stay hyper-focused on a narrow area of service and boosts its rankings. Some ways to market within your locality and niche include:
- Choose content keywords and phrases that include local landmarks
- Pick long-tail phrases that consumers would use
- Create content with your niche in mind
- Earn backlinks from local organizations
Enhance Your Small Law Firm Marketing Strategy
Any small (or large) law firm needs to understand its target audience. Magnify this even more by narrowing the focus down to your ideal client. This will allow you to spend your advertising dollars and efforts where you clients actually will notice you. Getting new leads can be challenging, but here are some ideas for both online and offline small law firm marketing strategies:
- Email newsletters
- Guest Posting
- Local Ads
- Strategic SEO
- Quality website content
- Relevant blog content
- Positive client reviews and testimonials
- Networking events
- Colleague referrals
- Voice search optimization
Build A Solid Website
A well-designed website includes thoughtful plans for the best user experience possible, along with strategies to attract an audience. To construct a powerful, engaging website that attracts an audience, consider the following:
- Use a reputable website builder, such as WordPress. It allows you flexibility and a variety of free plugins to customize your options.
- Employ a Mobile-first mindset. New tweaks in the Google algorithm will soon be putting mobile-responsiveness as an essential priority. Make sure your site does, too.
- Prioritize website speed. Test your website speed through Google Page Speed Insights and aim for a score of 80/100 or better.
- Keep tracking your metrics. Use call tracking and Google Analytics to track your traffic.
- Avoid bulky themes and awkward framework. These can bog down your website’s speed.
- Double check all website copy for: errors, broken links, and duplicate content.
- Add client reviews, images and testimonials for social proof.
An essential component of your marketing plan is solid keyword research. You want your website to rank for keywords in your niche, which will drive more traffic to your business. Tools like SEMRush and Ahrefs can assist with your keyword research.
Write Valuable Content
One of the most crucial elements of any law firm website is relevant content that adds value to visitors. Your content should answer the typical client questions you receive most often in your practice, along with helpful legal information written in simple, user-friendly terms. Crafting content that is relevant to your potential audience is critical to your long-term success, and it helps to have a game plan that includes:
- Following a consistent schedule
- Using a calendar with publishing date goals
- Writing evergreen content
- Repurposing content to be used on a variety of platforms
- Sharing content with audiences on the right social media platforms
Complete Your Google My Business Listing
Your Google My Business listing is free advertising, a great way to gain new leads and an ideal way to build trust. One way to build your reliable reputation as to ask for and display reviews on Google My Business. Positive client reviews are social proof that your services work and that you can be trusted. In addition to increasing your stash of client reviews, maximize your Google My Business listing by completing a full profile and remember to:
- Add at least five images
- Include consistent contact information
- Use appropriate business categories
- Frame your business accurately
- Include services in your listing
- Post law firm events and announcements
Optimize Your Online Presence
When listing a business online, many people do not realize how critical it is to include your contact information in the same consistent way every time. Your business description, name, address, phone number and location should appear the exact same way in every venue. Consider this as you list your small law firm in business and legal directories such as: Yelp, Avvo, Justia, and Findlaw.
Track Your Small Law Firm Marketing Goals
Utilize software tools to track your calls, contact forms, email submissions and live chats. Viewing the data can be eye-opening and help you to plan your future marketing campaigns. Some helpful tracking tools include: CallRail, Google Analytics and Gravity Forms (a WordPress plugin.)
Links that originate outside your site and lead a consumer to your website are helpful ways to build your site’s authority. Regular linking to your law firm website will assist your marketing efforts, because it tells the search engines that you have something valuable to share. Grasp opportunities to create links, think creatively and consider the following ideas:
- Write a guest post that links to your website in the bio section
- Use legal directory links
- Get listed in community directories and newspapers
- Host interviews and podcasts with links in the show notes
- Be involved with local events and non-profits
Manage Social Media
Social media attracts four billion or more individuals, so it is a crucial platform for your small law firm. A gold mine for sharing and referrals, social media offers a bunch of benefits. However, it is essential to choose your platforms wisely and settle in where your potential clients hang out. Avoid wasting your efforts by spreading yourself too thin, and try to repurpose your already written content when you post. Using social media shows your audience that you are accessible and relevant, and your content assures people of your authority in the field.
Email is not a hot new platform, but it is a tried and true way to bring your message to a laser-focused audience. Email reaches its target 90% of the time, is inexpensive and gives proven results. Use a regular law firm newsletter to stay in touch with your clients, since they are the best source of referrals. When contacting past and prospective clients through email, remember the following tips:
- Be concise. Most people browse emails, so skip the small talk and dive into your message.
- Stay focused. Keep your message direct, whether informing, commenting on recent events, sharing law firm news or requesting a review.
- Keep a mobile-first mindset. Make everything mobile-friendly, since a growing number of your audience will be viewing their email on a mobile phone.
- Bring value. Make your message count by offering value with your email, not clutter.
- Call the reader to action. Always provide a call to action, since this is the point of any marketing strategy. The call to action might be a referral, a visit to the office, writing a review or showing up for a sponsored event.
How Law Quill Can Help Your Small Law Firm Marketing Strategy
Small law firm marketing strategy is uniquely different from the advertising strategies of big box law firms. However, even if your small law firm is restricted by a tiny marketing budget, there are powerful ways you can get your business name and brand out to your audience. When you start thinking creatively about the simple steps listed above, your small law firm can take big steps toward more clients and growing success.
We are here to help and would welcome the opportunity to visit with you for free regarding your website content! Schedule a free visit with us by scheduling a quick phone or zoom call at your convenience on our calendar today. You can also email us at [email protected]