Table of Contents
Hashtags are powerful tools that can be used to promote your law firm on social media. When used correctly, hashtags can get your content noticed and increase viewer connections. However, it is important to dig for the best hashtags, use them strategically and not overuse them. Learn more about law firm hashtags, and how proper use can attract more potential leads.
What is a Hashtag?
Hashtags were born in 2007, invented by the Twitter marketing team as a way to group related tweets together. Now, hashtags are used on many social media sites. To hashtag something, you employ the pound sign (#) and a key word or phrase with no spaces or special characters. A few popular legal hashtags include: #legal, #justice, and #lawyerlife.
After a hashtag has been created and used repeatedly, you can search for related posts using the hashtag. You can also determine the popularity of a topic, partly by how many people are using its hashtag. Here are a few basic rules about hashtags:
- They must start with # and not include symbols, spaces or punctuation.
- Hashtagged content will not work if your social media account is not public.
- The best hashtags are short and easy to recall.
- Use specific and relevant hashtag words.
- Limit the number of law firm hashtags used; too many hashtags can look unprofessional.
- Use camel case (capital letters at the beginning of each word) to make your hashtag message easier to read.
- When making a hashtag, try to use words that a typical client would type into the search bar.
- It is not necessary to add a hashtag to every post.
Why Use Law Firm Hashtags?
Using law firm hashtags brings you into related topics shared across a social media platform. Hashtags spotlight your posts and bring you into the conversation, so use them to:
- Build Your Brand. Creating a hashtag with your law firm brand can be a key way to promote your business, gain brand awareness and make your original content stand out.
- Support Trending Issues. Using a trending hashtag can connect you to those who follow hot issues or events. This way, you can link up with local users, and those who are also following a specific cause. Hashtags typically help people notice your posts and increase your viewership.
- Extend Your Reach. Using key law firm hashtags can help you reach out to your target audience. One of the best ways to do this is to use relevant and trending hashtags to help your ideal clients find you.
How Many Hashtags?
Stay balanced when using law firm hashtags, because overloading can appear spammy and less than professional. Anywhere between 10-15 hashtags per post is acceptable and over 30 could cause your account to be banned. 91% of top brands use around seven or fewer hashtags on their posts, but you may want to experiment with what works for you.
Create Your Own Hashtags
If you create a hashtag, make it simple and easy to remember. A hashtag like #WrongfulDeath is more memorable than #accident. When creating a law firm hashtag, include your business name or brief slogan. The goal is to engage other users, build brand recognition and increase your follower list. Of course there are tools that can help you find the best law firm hashtags, including:
Best Law Hashtags
To maximize your hashtag use, combine popular hashtags with the ones connected to your practice area, such as: #attorney combined with #elderlaw. Here are some of the most common, general law-related hashtags on Twitter and Instagram. When possible, use a combination of these to draw attention to your posts:
How and Where to Use Law Firm Hashtags
You can use law firm hashtags on any of these social media platforms. Where you use them depends on who you are trying to reach, so hang out where your target audience does. Keep in mind best practices and the following tips for each of these social media platforms:
Law Firm Hashtags on Twitter
- Hashtags are extremely common and effective on Twitter.
- Use three or less hashtags on each tweet.
- Use location-specific hashtags to increase your law firm’s engagement.
- A tweet that contains one hashtag typically gains an average of 90 interactions.
- Tweets with more than one hashtag see a decrease in engagement.
- Use hashtags within your bio and when replying to tweets by other users.
- Check out trending Twitter topics and use relevant hashtags for your own content.
Law Firm Hashtags on Instagram
- An Instagram post with a minimum of one hashtag gets an average of 12.6% more reach than a post without one.
- TrackMaven reports that Instagram posts with nine hashtags gain the most engagement.
- You can include hashtags in a post, comment or in stories.
- Add a list of hashtags as the first comment on your own post.
- Business Instagram profiles can track the success of a hashtag by using the Instagram Business Tools.
- Using more hashtags on this platform can lead to an increase in followers and engagement.
- You can follow hashtags on Instagram to keep track of trending topics.
Law Firm Hashtags on Facebook
- Hashtags are not widely used on Facebook, so use one or two if any.
- You can add hashtags to a post or a comment.
- Hashtags are used within private Facebook groups or in advertising campaigns.
- Hashtags which are location-specific are successful.
Law Firm Hashtags on LinkedIn
- Hashtags are not as popular here as on other sites, but they are used to promote connections here.
- You can find trending hashtags on the LinkedIn home page under “news and views.”
- If relevant, use the suggested hashtags.
- Post five or fewer hashtags, or LinkedIn will designate it as spam. Using one to three hashtags is best here.
- As on other platforms, using location-specific hashtags can be effective.
Law Firm Hashtags on YouTube
- Use hashtags in descriptions and titles to help viewers find your material
- Use less than fifteen hashtags, or they will be ignored by YouTube.
- Irrelevant or misleading hashtags violates YouTube’s policy and may cause removal of your video.
Law Firm Hashtags on TikTok
- On TikTok, the more hashtags, the better. Use as many as you can.
- TikTok limits captions to 100 characters, so your hashtags must fit within this.
- When you run out of space, you can add hashtags to the captions or comments.
- Research hashtags in your niche, make a list and use these in your posts.
No matter which social network you are using, law firm hashtags can help you boost your online visibility and reputation. These little hyperlinks can connect your business with prospective clients, boost your brand and enhance your standing among the competition. Your success with hashtags depends on proper and balanced use, unique to each social media platform.
We are here to help and would welcome the opportunity to visit with you for free regarding your website content! Schedule a free visit with us by scheduling a quick phone or zoom call at your convenience on our calendar today. You can also email us at [email protected]